The keto or ketogenic diet is one that induces the production of ketone bodies, a process called ketosis.To achieve this, it is essential to minimize the main source of energy of the body, that is, carbohydrates.
This is the only premise to follow but although it seems simple it may not be so much in practice, for this reason, we show you in this guide the basis of the keto or ketogenic diet for beginners.
Foods to reduce: those with the greatest source of hydrates
Carbohydrates are the body’s greatest source of energy, that is, the main glucose providers. If we reduce them the body begins to burn fat and produce ketone bodies and this is the reason why the keto diet is so effective at the time of weight loss.
So, the key to eating a keto diet is to reduce the main sources of hydrates, that is, to avoid sugar, cereals, legumes and derivatives and also, a large part of fruits and vegetables.
Hydrates should be limited to 10% of daily calories or less, and because many foods are a source of this nutrient, we must base our diet on foods rich in protein and healthy fats.
That is, we can not ingest any type of sugar, syrup, honey or similar, sweets are not admitted or other sources of added sugar. But we must also avoid cereals and derivatives (rice, pasta, noodles, quinoa, amaranth, oats and all that contains it), legumes (of all kinds, dried or preserved), fruits and vegetables in general.
The only vegetable options that are admitted in a paleo diet are avocados in which fats, olives, nuts and seeds predominate, but even so, it is necessary to monitor the quantities because in large proportions and depending on the person we can break the state of ketosis
Base the diet on foods with protein and quality fats
Energy should be obtained basically from proteins and fats, but not just any option is recommended, but we will try to prioritize as lean or nutritious sources of protein such as fresh red and white meats, fish of all types, eggs and dairy products without added sugars.
Within the sources of fats we will opt for foods rich in unsaturated fatty acids such as vegetable oils, nuts in all its variants, seeds, olives, capers or avocado that although it has a minimum of hydrates is primarily fat accompanied by good nutrients.
These foods and combinations of them can be ingested in unlimited quantities, because with their consumption we will obtain great satiety and replace the main sources of hydrates.
So, instead of whole wheat bread at breakfast or oatmeal, we must opt for an omelette based on eggs and cheese, or avocado and plain yogurt without sugar, among other options.
Starting Keto Diet always better with professional help
The ketosis process requires some control, which is why it is not recommended to perform this diet for an unlimited time, because in addition, some side effects may appear.
For this, in our guide we recomend use a 30 day ketosis:
All information about this pills you can find here: Keto Advanced Weight Loss Pills.
On the other hand, a specialist can favor the maintenance of the ketosis process, which can be easily broken by the intake of a fruit in a sedentary person or many more hydrates in a physically active person.
That is, the ketosis process is achieved and preserved differently depending on the person, therefore, professional advice can be very valuable to take the keto diet.
Recipes to start on the Keto Diet
When starting a ketogenic diet it can be very complex to solve breakfasts or snacks, as well as side dishes if we are accustomed to eating fruits and vegetables, or various cereals.
So, to start us, the following recipes can be very useful:
- Keto bread or clud bread: it is the star recipe for those who usually consume cookies or breads and now, with the keto diet its consumption is not admitted.
- Almond and peanut butter: these are simple preparations that will help us replace jams, jellies or other spreads.
- Fluffy omelette: it is another option for breakfast or snack and is easily done.
- Toasted pumpkin pipe snack: if you usually consumed fruits between meals, now you should avoid them and in their replacement, this is a healthy snack and suitable for keto diet.
- Creamy chocolate and avocado: for lovers of sweet dishes the keto diet can be extremely complex to carry out, so we leave this dessert option in which we must avoid honey and syrup as well as decorating fruits.
- Cheesecakes: another sweet option for dessert or for breakfast and snack. We recommend limiting the intake of fresh fruits with it because it is an ideal protein preparation for keto diet.
Weekly Keto Diet menu for starters
One of the most complex things in the keto diet is to solve whole meals without resorting to usual cereals, legumes, fruits and vegetables that can break with the state of ketosis which is the one that ultimately promotes fat burning and weight loss.
Therefore, in this guide we leave some ideas for those who seek to implement this option, either to lose weight or to achieve muscular definition.
The key is to replace breads, cereals and legumes with first and foremost protein alternatives, with quality fats and reduced in carbohydrates such as eggs, cheeses, fish or avocados.
Sample weekly menu for keto diet is the one shown below, with recipes included:
- BREAKFAST Sugar-free tea and eggs soufflé with bacon.
- HALF MORNING Handful of nuts.
- LUNCH Quiche light tuna.
- SUPPER Roasted avocados with mozzarella. A small plum
- BREAKFAST Sponge Tortilla
- HALF MORNING Half fresh orange and a handful of sunflower seeds.
- LUNCH Baked chicken breasts with Morbier cheese.
- SUPPER Baked salmon with nuts.
- BREAKFAST Baked avocado with eggs
- HALF MORNING Seeds or roasted pumpkin seeds.
- LUNCH Round roasted veal with cooked eggs. Half peach
- SUPPER Turkish eggs with yogurt.
- BREAKFAST Cloud bread or cloud bread with fresh cheese.
- HALF MORNING Handful of nuts.
- LUNCH Baked juicy chicken breast with 50 grams of lettuce with olive oil.
- SUPPER Cod omelette.
- BREAKFAST Eggs in casserole of serrano ham.
- HALF MORNING Sugar-free natural yogurt with sunflower seeds.
- LUNCH Baked salmon with sesame crust
- SUPPER Baked avocados stuffed with salmon and egg.
- BREAKFAST Cloud bread sandwich with fresh cheese and avocado.
- HALF MORNING Natural yogurt without sugar with two slices of fresh kiwi in cubes.
- LUNCH I went from turkey to curry.
- SUPPER Baked eggs on avocado with goat cheese.
- BREAKFAST Quick omelette with fresh herbs.
- HALF MORNING Natural yogurt without sugar with chopped almonds.
- LUNCH Poached eggs with gulas and prawns. Apricot Half
- SUPPER Eggs on the plate with sobrasada.
As the ketosis process depends largely on the energy demanded by the body, those who do physical activity may include a higher proportion of low-carbohydrate fruits such as citrus fruits for example or vegetables such as cabbages.
However, people with a reduced caloric expenditure may need to completely eliminate fruits and vegetables from the diet, so we recommend adapting this weekly menu to the particularities of each consumer to take advantage of the keto diet.
And of course, to accompany this weekly diet and lose weight, it is advisable to perform regular physical exercise, avoid alcohol and sugary drinks and replace, drink water as usual liquid.